Elliott Arcile Reed

Elliott Arcile Reed
6 lbs 8 oz 19 3/4 inches

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Game On

We have the green light, Elli will be having her surgery sometime after lunch, the plan between 1 and 2, there is a baby in the surgery suite right now, but he will be moved out and Elli will be moved in so she can get settled and stabilized on the OR table for about an hour before her surgery. She is going to get to stay in the surgery suite for a couple of days pending there are no emergency cases that need the room. This is a big relief to Mommy and Daddy since she will be so critical after surgery and any movement will increase the chance of bleeding. After much debate this morning, the doctors and nurses decided that they would wait until after Elli's surgery to put in a central line. As of right now Elli only has her ECMO cannulas and one small IV in her foot. When it is time to wean her off ECMO, all her meds will have to find another way and since the IV in her foot is so small, and also TPN (kind of like her food for now) cannot be given through a peripheral IV, she needs to have a central line placed. We were hoping that they would do it before surgery since afterwards, I don't want her to get worked up, but I guess the decided that they didn't want to do it while she was on so much Heparin.
As for last night, I called and talked to Elli's nurses around 2 after I got done pumping and Elli had to have her ECMO flow turned back up slightly. Her blood pressures were staying fine, it was her blood gases that didn't look as good as they were with the higher amount of support. Last night her gases were slightly acidotic meaning that she wasn't able to blow off enough CO2. The reason for this is that because Elli's vent settings are so low because they don't want to expand that right lung too much which would cause the heart to be compressed, her lungs were not doing enough of the work to get rid of the extra carbon dioxide. Dr. P did not seem to concerned with this since none of the vent settings were changed, he wouldn't expect her to be able to do the oxygen/carbon dioxide conversion herself. So we didn't really take it as a set back, more of a trial run before surgery.
Elli has been really sleepy all morning, even when they turned her at 8:00, she didn't even wake up, which usually makes her pretty cranky. The nurses have not given her any PRN meds since they changed her cannula site on Tuesday. I guess she is just getting her rest for the big afternoon. I hope that she wakes up just a little bit before the surgery so I can get one last peek at those beautiful blues before surgery. Don't worry we will keep posting throughout the day with updates on Elli! Thanks to everyone for the comments, it was so awesome to see how many people posted when we got to the hospital this morning. Check back later..... Brian, Cassi and Elli

20 comments:

Snevets said...

Sounds like your little beauty is strong! :-) She is always in our prayers and thoughts here. We love you Elli!

Brian, Shelly, Cole, & Raegan

Jennifer said...

I am keeping you guys in my thoughts and prayers for the surgery today!

Cindy said...

I'm praying for you all today! Be strong Elli!

Amy AKA "Baba" said...

Thoughts and prayers! Stay strong Elli!

nicole said...

can't believe the big day is here!!
i got chills reading your update!!
constant prayers and thoughts for you guys and especially elli.

hang in there!!!!

Nicole M

amberthompson said...

Never ending prayers for all three of you today! May God hold Elli close to his heart today while the surgeons are doing what must be done. Thank you so much for updating as often as you do...I think everyone at St. Francis is on edge today awaiting for more miracles from your sweet baby girl. Cassi, know that your angel knows you are there.

With much love,
Amber & Jesse Thompson

Amanda said...

Thank you for the updates. I have passed your blog on to many friends & family... everyone is praying for strength for you and Little Elli! I love that the dr. who was not so positive is eating his words now that Elli is proving what a fighter she is! ALSO I love in the video how Elli seems to really be checking out her Daddy ~ always the charmer! :) My thoughts are with you this afternoon! Amanda W

NReed said...

Hey guys, sounds like things are going a bit better. Hopefully everything will go well during and after the surgery. Wish I could be down there with you two and little Elli. Keep me updated. I'll be praying all day for all. Love you all!

Nathan

My Three Sons said...

Cassie, Brian, and Baby Elli,
I'm all set on my end. I have posted a little on my blog about Elli so the prayers should start pouring in. Baby Elli is going to do such a great job. How could she not? People from all over the US are praying hard and God is listening!! I will continue to check in on you and can't wait for the exciting news that she is doing just fabulous!

Kaci

Brooke said...

I sent out a huge email this morning to everyone in my contacts asking for prayers for Elli!! I will be praying for a wonderful surgery for Elli and a strong recovery. I have been praying for you both and the doctors and nurses. Stay strong and keep your confidence!!
Love~Brooke

Karie said...

Go Elli from this cheering section!!! Be strong and show them your stuff! Many prayers to you and your Mommy and Daddy!

Aep said...

Sending you guys prayers and positive thoughts. Stay strong Elli!
Hugs,
Pena Family

Angie said...

She is a strong little girl, she can do this! Find strength in each other. You are in our prayers.

The Lang's
Jason, Angie, Jacob and Kasey

Amber said...

Praying,Praying,Praying,Praying!

Melissa said...

Wow...reading your blog sure brought back memories. Our little boy was on ECMO for 11 (?) days (rooming with little Kinley Melcher, I think you know them?) Anyway, I ran across this blog from Kaci and just wanted you to know that we are praying- we know the overwhelming stress of ECMO and how exhausted you must be- know how much you are thought of and your little girl is loved- she is absolutely beautiful!! :)

Jill said...

Dearest B,C & E,

I have shared your emails with so many friends and family. You will be surrounded by prayer! God's blessings for a successful surgery.
A second miracle will happen today. I will pray without ceasing.
I love you all!
Aunt Jill & Family

- said...

We are praying hard for the three of you on this end. Elli's already proved she's a fighter and I just know she will astonish us, once again, with her strength and courage. We love you so, so much.

-Jenny and Justin

kmm0305 said...

If all went according to schedule, Elli should be in surgery right now--we are sure thinking about her!! We pray that God guides the surgeons and doctors, nurses and other medical professionals as she has her procedure done.

I am off to the first Iowa State football game of the season, but will be thinking of Elli while I'm there! :) I'll check back in later tonight--I hope all goes well!

shanacnest said...

well i am a big supporter of little elli and i am really want to say thanks to cassie and brian they have been throw alot and they r doing great and i no its very toucing and everyone is nervis and we all no litlle lady elli is going to be one tough little bird and alawys will be love shana

Roger & Ann said...

Hi, guys your site is so informative about Eli's progress, we are all praying that her surgery is a huge success. She is a sweetie, no doubt about it. God's blessings to you. Ann & Roger