Elliott Arcile Reed

Elliott Arcile Reed
6 lbs 8 oz 19 3/4 inches

Monday, September 1, 2008

Delta P?

Daddy's 1st Diaper Change...a little rocky, but went well none the less.
Kisses for Elli after the big Diaper Change.


Elli spent about 30 minutes this afternoon just looking around, she seemed pretty happy but...


...clearly she didn't like something. How can such a sour face look so darn cute?


Elli looking at her Mommy, thinking why wont this lady just pick me up already.


What the heck is Delta P? Brian and I have gotten very acquainted with Mr. Delta P. It is a HFOV setting that seems to determine what kind of gas Elli is going to have. (The Delta P is the amount of pressure behind each burst of air put into Elli's lungs) Currently Elli is receiving 600 tiny bursts of air each minute. No that is not a typing error, I said 600! Miss Elli has decided that she likes the Delta P at 40. Try and turn her down to 38 or 39 and her CO2 starts going up, and she starts really breathing over the vent, I guess she is just trying out her new diaphragm. The doctors really want to wean Elli every time she has a good blood gas but once they turn the Delta P down, she gets cranky and her CO2 is on the rise. The reason that they want to wean the vent settings, and won't just let her sit tight at a level she likes is that the HFOV tends to beat up the lungs. They want to least amount of pressure that Elli will tolerate with her numbers still staying in the acceptable range, so hence the constant trials to wean. As for right now, they are leaving the Delta P at 40 for a while, it has been there since around 6:00, so we hope that they let her adjust to it for a while. As far as everything else goes, Elli looks great on paper, her blood pressure has not had any issues since her blood volume has gotten back to where it needs to be and she is still peeing like crazy. Shoot, one of Elli's midline IV's just got pulled out, it was clotted off, so I don't know if they are going to try and start another one or what. And now I just heard that that her scalp IV that she is currently getting Vancomycin through is all red, so it's probably bad too. Darn it Elli, sounds like a few more pokes to come. The nurses have been giving Elli several PRN doses of Morphine and Versed to try to keep Elli from breathing over her vent, so I am wondering if they will end up turning up the drip rates pretty soon, but haven't heard any word of that yet.
Still back in the surgical suite all by ourselves. They had talked about moving Elli back into the ECMO room, but she is not stable enough yet, but hopefully she will begin to stabilize over the next several days. So as of now the plan is to keep Elli happy. With any luck she will be able to very, very slowly tolerate some lower Delta P numbers without her gases looking too bad.
One more thing, Brian and I put the hit counter on around this time last week and it is unbelievable, over 12,000 hits! That is amazing, we cannot believe that so many people are checking in on Elli. It is so refreshing to know that a baby that hardly anyone has got to meet can have such a great impact on others. She is truly a fighter and I hope that everyone continues to watch her progress, because we are all going to make it through this crazy journey. And everyone that has posted thoughtful comments, it has been a true help to Brian and I. These last few days have been so crazy, but it is nice to be able to sit down at the computer, pour out thoughts and know that there are so many people that truly care about all three of us. Thanks again, hopefully the next several posts will be filled with cute pictures and good news. Thanks again. Hope and Love....Brian, Cassi and Elli

28 comments:

amberthompson said...

What adorable pictures. Continue to have faith in the Lord and of course your little girl! Together they will do amazing things. I continue to pray for your family.

God Bless,
Amber & Jesse Thompson

Liz Rich said...

She is so beautiful! I know I have never seen you (Cassi) in person--but from the pictures I have seen, Elli looks a lot like you! I thought this a few days ago--but now I am sure. Precious baby!!!! Keeping you in our prayers still! I'm impressed by Brian's diaper duty skills!
Stay strong little Elli!

Amy AKA "Baba" said...

I'm sorry I have probably raised your hit counter several hundred just by myself. I can't get enough of Little Elli. I have told Liviana about her and hope they will meet each other in the near future.

That is such an adorable picture of her looking at you. She knows the love you have for her, you can see it in her face.

Continued well wishes coming your way...

Amy
http://livianasjourney.blogspot.com

Grandma Reed said...

Elli is just so very darn cute, it wouldn't matter what kind of look she gave you, you'd just want to kiss her and make it better. She really pulls at the heart strings.
So if the Delta P is set at 40, is the number of tiny bursts 600? Or how is that determined? Sorry, but I didn't understand that. Guess I could look it up and see if I could understand it.
Brian looks a little nervous doing diaper duty. I would be too but that will change. He will get used to it.
Love you and thanks for keeping us posted. We pray she stays stable and gets to move out of the room she had surgery in soon.
Elli has done a super job handling all that she has gone through. I think she's entitled to not like some things.( like lots) Darn pokes... but Thank God they have all the IV's and medical knowledge to help her. CMH seems very caring and really keeping a close watch on her.
Have a good night and rest peacefully.
Love you all 3.

MDiggs said...

Keep on fighting Elli!!! Way to go on the first diaper change.....it will get much easier as time goes on and you'll be able to do it in your sleep;) You guys are so tough! Thinking of you.~ Miranda

mommy to Kaden, Brody and angel Ava said...

I love the pictures, especially the last two. Isn't amazing how they look at you and already seem to know who you are!!! I am glad things seemed to have quieted down a little this evening.

Diaper changes are very scary with all the lines and tubes coming out of those tiny bodies. I remember that my husband and I would double team it the first few times.

Thinking of you all and keeping you in my prayers.

Amy

I hope you don't mind that I continue to read your blog and post comments. You guys have really touched my heart.

Amber Wood (Roberts) said...

Brian and Cassi you guys have a very precious gift from GOD. HE knows you both will take very good care of her. Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.


In Christian Love,

Amber Wood (Roberts)
Brians cousin

My Three Sons said...

Cassie, I'm so proud of Brian for changing that diaper. That is great that you are starting him early:-).
Those close up shots of Elli are so beautiful. She is such a fighter. Keep it up. I know the ups and downs are scary but she just keeps doing great. Hope you all get a good nights sleep.

Kaci

Brooke said...

So, who do you think she looks like? I kind of think Cassi. She is so pretty and doesn't look like she is having any problems at all! I bet she does miss you guys when you are gone. Sounds like you have awesome nurses though to stay with her. I'm so glad she is still progressing no matter how many set backs. She is doing wonderful! Take care. Oh, I'm on vacation in Montana, had to have my Elli fix though. I'm going to check the counter now and see if it shows me in Montana. That thing is so neat!
Brooke

*super dude and super dog* said...

Happy 2 week Birthday Elli! She sounds stubborn, which is great now, but you'll be paying for it when she's a teenager!

Thanks for taking the time to keep all of us Baby Elli addicts updated. She's so beautiful.

- said...

I know she looks like Mama, but the sour face sure reminds me of B, for some reason. :) She's precious no matter what face she makes.

We're sorry she has to have so many pokes... but at least she's a trooper. We'll keep praying on our end and we'll be thinking of the three of you. We are sending bunches of love!

-Justin and Jenny

kmm0305 said...

Elli is just too adorable, who can keep away?

I'm sure it helps with your background as a nurse, but I never really "learned" how to read the vent settings. My hubby got into it more, and looking back I wish I would've recorded some of those details.

We hope Elli has a great week and is able to tolerate some good changes to those settings.

Kristyn
Leah 8.11.05 R-CDH

Unknown said...

Just checked in to see how things are going with Elli. As you note, it seems up and down which is probably how it will be for the foreseeable future.

We continue to pray for you all.

Pastor Norris

Paula said...

The cryless frown...we remember it well...So endearing and so sad at the same time.

Elli, rest assured your parents on on their toes...you can go back to boring days and steady improvements! I'll be praying for that day.

Paula

Brenda Neff said...

Just got your blog address from Timmy this weekend, so glad to see you are all hanging in and things are remaining positive! I must say you guys picked the perfect name for a fighter :) Our Elly surprised doctors by toughin' in out in Mommy's belly for so long when she shouldn't have. And of course the little girl our Elly's named after was definatly a fighter. She hung in 16 hours after the accident and doctors said we should have lost her at the scene, not to mention everything else she had gone thru prior with her other health issues. Be prepared for a tough little girl that will rule the roost in no time:) You guys are in our prayers and I will add your address to our blog later today to help get your word out.
The Neff's
Marc, Brenda, Madyson, Elly
(Our Angel Abrielle)

Anonymous said...

Elli looks like a beautiful little girl! Congratulations to you and Brian. Your love and strength will you all pull through this. Congrats again and your whole family is in my prayers.

-Sarah Smith

Schoeberl Family said...

Brian, Cassi and Elli,

I teach with Annie Vorthmann and I follow your blog daily. I have two small children of my own and I am amazed at the strength you have. Elli is so lucky that God chose you to be her parents. You are all in my thoughts and prayers daily. Stay strong!
Jennifer Schoeberl

SandiWake said...

You go girl!! xox, S :)

Jeff and Chris said...

Oh. . . She is SO Beautiful! And her expressions . . .it is like you can almost tell what she is thinking . . . taking it all in.

We are praying.

Jeff and Chris

Unknown said...

Those are great pictures. I absolutely love her hair too.

The true struggle of a lesbian christian said...

Sometimes as a parent I take for granted being able to hold my little boy in my arms. All parents deserve to e able to hold thier little ones and love them and in your case you have to wait a little while longer. Your strenght through it all has been touching and Elli is such a great insperation of strengh and endurance and mercy.
Even though I do not know you I pray this prayer for your little Elli about 8 times a day.
dear god,
send your angels around elli and protect her from harm. guide the surgens and hurses hands as they help Elli may they become your hands instead of thiers. Help Ellis to stay comfoted in these times and may you give her parents rest in thier time of restlessness. My your love protect Elli and your mirical of life shine forth through her as you brign her to full strenght and help in yu timing and though we do not understand your plan we give you our thanks for a full recovery in advance.
amen.

I pray that everyone who reads this might pray the same prayer
god Bless you all and stay strong
the Lord will carry you through

Gina said...

Go Elli!!

I knew you could do it. She is adorable and we are so happy for you.

Gina
Wyatt's Mom

Jerad and Amanda said...

One thing for sure, that little girl sure is opinionated and she will let them know what she wants and what she doesn't want! So leave that Delta P at 40! It sounds as if she is doing just what she needs to be doing. Keep the faith!

Love,
Amanda

Unknown said...

Brian, Cassi, & Elli,
While browsing the internet, I found this poem & thought immedatley of the three of you...

I WISH FOR YOU

Comfort on difficult days,
Smiles when sadness intrudes,
Rainbows to follow the clouds, Laughter to kiss your lips,

Sunsets to warm your heart,
Gnetle hugs when spirits sag,
Friendships to brighten your being,
Beauty for your eyes to see,

Confidence for when you doubt,
Faith so that you can believe,
Courage to know yourself,
Patience to accept the truth,
And love to complete your life.

Two weeks have passed and the three of you are still enduring the unimaginable with such strength.
Continuing to keep you in our thoughts and prayers constantly.
Jesse & Nicholle Kalb

Tracy Meats said...

Beautiful pictures! Go Brian Go--always fun to finally get to change a diaper with your NICU baby!! Continued prayers for Elli - keep fighting little girl and making progress in the right direction. Cassi and Brian, we love to read Elli's updates--you can tell you love your little girl so much!!

Hugs,
Tracy Meats - WY State Rep. for Cherubs and mom to Ian (LCDH, 4/3/04)

Lindsay Alexander said...

Love, love, love the pictures.. Keep them coming! Cassie, I think I have seen that same sour face from you!! he he!! Sounds and looks like Elli is strong as ever.. And beautiful, silo and all!!!! GO ELLI!! Glad to hear that you two took a little time to go and get some new stuff for the house.. You will all enjoy it when you get home! I had been away from civilization for a few days and hadn't been able to check in and was so happy to know that little Elli is giving those ole doctors the fight of her life, and proving their ideals wrong!!! GO ELLI!! Anyway, take care of you all, and lot's of prayers are being sent your way!
Lindsay Alexander

gma2be said...

Thanks sooo much for the pics of Brian and Elli. Would love to see a pic of you also, Cassi. We miss you all so much. Got used to seeing you every weekend (working on the money pit). Prayig for a good day for Elli and a boring day for mom and dad. You make such a beautiful family! Love you all soso much. Hugs & kisses to Elli

Auntie Annie's Mom said...

Wow; all of those numbers make my head swim, but it settles down when I look at Elli's precious face. She is so amazing! Congrats, Brian, on your first (of MANY) diaper changes. Stay strong, Reed Family!