Elliott Arcile Reed

Elliott Arcile Reed
6 lbs 8 oz 19 3/4 inches

Sunday, August 24, 2008

ECMO Day 4- Lots of Visitors

Aunt Staci reading Elli "How Much Do I love You" She was awake prior to the book, but I don't think she got to look at too many of the pictures.


Elli finally calmed down after they turned her to her right side, she tends to get cranky when they try to turn her to that side with her ECMO cannulas. Thankfully SugarBear was there to help comfort her, she was really latching on to him.

And last but not least, Elli was wide awake yesterday around noon. I got this amazing picture of her with her eyes wide open, and of course she was sucking on her vent tube again. Overall she was pretty awake for periods of the day yesterday, but we were able to settle her down without them having to give her too many extra doses of Morphine and Versed



Clearly this is my NEW Favorite Picture...Is it just me or does she get cuter every day? She was so wide awake in this picture, her eyes were so intent on focusing on me. I can't beleive how beautiful she is, especially when I see those big blue eyes.


Yesterday was pretty busy for Elli, my brother and sister-in-law visited around noon. We tried to out wait the doctors for rounds, but they were running very late, so we finally gave up and went to eat lunch with them around 1:00.


On rounds, they decided that Elli was peeing too much, and stopped her daily dose of Lasix because she was getting too dry, so at 4:00 when they changed out all the lines like they do daily, her blood pressure started to drop off, luckily I was pumping, because Brian said that it and her heart rate got pretty low, but once they got all the lines hooked back up and called the doctor, she perked right up. Brian said the doctor no more than got to the bedside and her blood pressure was back to her normal. Must just be the doctor's presence and Elli knows to straiten up. They did decide to give her a 30ml Normal Saline bolus because she had several huge wet diapers through out the day, and one more with a little poo in it. At 4:00 while I was pumping, we had more visitors, my sister Staci, and my mom and dad. Elli was awake for a little while and then we got her to fall back to sleep without any PRN meds. While we were out to eat during report time, the doctor decided to order another Normal Saline bolus just to make sure that Elli wasn't getting too dehydrated. She responded really well to both and her blood pressure stabilized out for the rest of the evening.


Elli did get a unit of blood and platelets last night, per protocol according to her labs. This is very normal for a baby on ECMO because the ECMO machine pretty much eats up the platelets and some babies need platelets every 6 hours while others need them daily. Elli has been needing about 1 unit per day. Brian said the heard some where that a baby on ECMO for 38 days will use 6 gallons of blood (don't quote him on that, I think he read it on another blog, but it was something like that). But I called at about 3:00 when I got up to pump to check on Elli and the night nurse Cindy said that she really liked her blood and platelets and that she was doing great and had been sleeping most of the night, not requiring any PRN meds, so that was great.

We are looking forward to another boring but busy day, as Elli is scheduled to have lots of visitors, my parents stayed in KC last night as did my sister, and Brian's mom was already here this morning to pick Brian up at the Ronald McDonald house around 8:00. We are just trying to cherish all these moments we have with Elli while she is on ECMO because of how stable she is, after she comes off ECMO and has her surgery, she will be very unstable as she will have to do all the work of her heart and lungs which she is not used to doing. At that time, we will not be touching her much at all and her stimulation will be almost zero. So for now it is so amazing to see her each and every day growing stronger and responding to our voices. Each day Elli is growing stronger and so are we, but the more she is awake, the harder it makes to leave her each night, that little lady really knows how to tug on our heart strings.

Thank you to everyone who continues to check the blog for updates, it is so nice to know that so many people are pulling for Elli. The outpouring of support has been so amazing not only Elli but Brian and I. We love to read all the comments on the blog, actually Brian is kind of addicted to them, and loves to tell me about all the people who are thinking about Elli. I will try to post some more pictures this afternoon and let everyone know if there are any changes. As for now, The Reed family continues to gain strength and hope each and every day!

19 comments:

PineapplePrincessMama said...

Look at those beautiful blues! SO SO adorable-love the new pics (is Daddy dozing in the background!?)!
Elli looks great-and yep, cuter every day :)!

Libby Cohen
Mama to Makena
www.caringbridge.org/visit/makena

nicole said...

I love all the pic's you've posted, she is so adorable. That is so awesome that she's so alert and showing her personality.

You guys continue to amaze me with your strength!!

lots of thoughts and prayers headed your way!!
Nicole M

stch said...

I have been watching your story since you first started it. I am the grandmom of Sabrina Sachs (see clearlyrandom.com for her story) who also had LCDH, so I know some of what you and all your family are feeling. I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers at this difficult time. Your baby girl joins so many really precious babies. Hang in there, keep the faith.
Jean (Sabrina's gma)

Darcy said...

Elli is such a doll! She is beautiful and getting more so everyday!
Praying for all of you in Oregon:)
darcy
mom to Owen-RCDH
http://ittybittyblog.wordpress.com/

CKHBailey said...

She's adorable, glad to hear she's holding her own. Our thoughts are with you guys. Cliff, Kristy & Hannah

KimShep said...

Love the pictures with her eyes open. She is so cute. I am glad that Elli is so strong. Also glad to see how active she is. Hope you are all doing well. Continue to spend those precious moments with Elli. I continue to pray for you all. Miss you!! Talk to you soon!!!!
-Kim-

Roger & Ann said...

Eli is beautiful, we are praying for her recovering and your daily strength, we know prayer works, & God is holding all of you in his loving arms. Pray, Pray, Pray, he is listening. I love how intense Eli is in you reading to her. God's blessings, Ann & Roger

Brooke said...

We talked about Elli in our children's sermon at church today. The kids were listening very intently as I told them about Elli. I told them that she needs lots of prayers right now for God to take care of her so that's what they are going to do this week, say lots of prayers for Elli. We are all thinking about you a lot and praying things continue on as well as they have been! She's even been the topic of conversation at the lumberyard a few times! I am really enjoying the posts and great reports.
Love,
Brooke

Unknown said...

That is my new favorite picture also. It made me cry like a baby at my computer screen. What an absolute beauty and I love the expression on her face like, "It is all okay mom".

I am so glad she is doing so well. It seems like this is just what she needed to rest and get ready for surgery.

As always, you guys are in our thoughts.

Amy
Liviana's Mom

Russell Van Dyke said...

She is so Cute, You guys hang in there a day with these CDH Babies is like walking a mountain there ups and downs. take the good and run with it. Parying for you guys

Father to BabySeth
Russell VAn Dyke

PamM said...

I have been thinking about you since I ran into your Mom a couple of months ago. Congratulations. She is beautiful. I can't imagine where you get your strength. Know that you are in my prayers. PamM

Amber said...

I love the new pic of Elli and it's not just you she is getting cuter and cuter everyday!

Keep up the good work Elli!

Mom and Dad sounds like you both have a great positive spirit. You guys keep up the good work too! The one thing I learned from my son CDH journey was be positive. I believe having positive energy around him helped him in his recovery.

All three of you are in my prayers!

Amber

Kelli said...

Hey you!Wow what a sweetie.  She looks so lovable, I bet you just can't stand it. What a beauty of a lil lady.  She's such a keeper.  We love the great pictures and frequent updates.  Your blog is so addicting.  Love, KELLI

Lavera said...

Brian and Cassi she is a beautiful baby. We have been keeping up with you throught the blog and your Mom. Just wanted you to know we are thinking of you. Uncle ronnie and Aunt LaVera

Ashley R said...

I have been following your Blog since Jennifer Miller spoke of you two in her blog. Elliot is such a cutie! I will continue to keep your family in my thoughts. I hope for a speedy recovery.

LauraT said...

Cassie and Brian, Elli is so precious. It is so wonderful of you to post all the pics and info for all of us wanting so badly to keep track of Elli's progress. She is def the talk of St Francis. I'm thinking of you and praying for continued progress. I hope you feel all the support from the ville!!! Laura

*super dude and super dog* said...

She's beautiful! Carter gave me a big ol' kick in the ribs in agreement. :) Keep up the fight!

LaDonna said...

She is so beautiful. But I am sure you already know that. I know you both must be very tired and stressed. I hope things are going as well as can be. We are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.
LaDonna

Mary T said...

You are so right, she gets prettier everyday, if that's possible. I'm so happy she is stable right now. Keep positive energy near your little Angel Elli, she will pick the energy up from you. She sounds like such a fighter, we like fiesty, sassy babies. Aunt Staci must have been beaming as she was reading to Elli. She certainly is loved so much. Your grandma pope called me on Friday to see if I had seen a picture of her beautiful great granddaughter, it just so happened I had just checked Elli's site and was looking at her! Grandma Pope is so proud of Elli and of you and Brian. Give Elli a little touch for us, we think she is too pretty!

BeLieVe iN MiRaCLeS!
Love to all...
MaryBeth