Elliott Arcile Reed

Elliott Arcile Reed
6 lbs 8 oz 19 3/4 inches

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Just what Mommy Needed

Last night just as we were about to leave, Elli did something we had never seen her do, she had her eyes open. She was looking all around and couldn't get enough of her Daddy. Initially the light was too much of a shock to her eyes, so we turned down the lights, that is why the video is so dark, but oh well. It was so amazing to see her awake and responsive and looking up at us trying to focus. You can see in the video that she is trying to focus and moving a lot. She also has the hiccups in the video, which she also did a lot when she was in my tummy and during her ultrasounds. At one point she was looking at me and I got right down by her face and told her how much I loved her and how beautiful she was and she immediately threw both arms up in the air like she wanted me to pick her up, and man did I ever want to, but resisted (barley). She was squeezing Brian's finger and pulling his hand down to try to get them both in her mouth. She was using the trachea tube as a pacifier last night and just sucking away on it and blowing bubbles. She was wide awake for about 30 minutes and Dad and I just ate it up, we didn't want to leave, but the nurse bless her heart let us "play" with her the whole time. Finally it was time to call it a night (around midnight) and we covered her eyes back up and tucked her arms and legs in to try to get her cozy, and she did end up falling back to sleep, but she didn't really want to. That 30 minutes was the best 30 minutes of my life. I could see my baby Elli for the first time, it was so amazing to see her look up at me and it literally melted my heart, and her daddy's.

I woke up during the night to pump and called to check on Elli, the nurses said that she had just woke up around 4 and had a poopy diaper! Not that she is getting any feedings in her tummy, she had just passed her meconium stool, but still that is always a good sign. The night nurse said that she was wide awake again and playing around, but this time she couldn't get her to calm down as quickly, so she ended up giving her a PRN dose of Morphine which settled her right down. The night was pretty uneventful, her vital signs have been staying pretty much the same, even during her awake periods, which is always a great sign. I am waiting for the Doctors to round this morning still, so if there are any changes I will post, other wise, I am going to play with Elli, it looks like she is starting to wake up again, she is moving around a lot so I am going to go check on her!

16 comments:

KimShep said...

Oh my goodness how precious was that. Elli was just looking around in that video. I am sure that was an amazing thing to see. How AWESOME. I am so glad to hear how active she has been. That is GREAT!!! Cassi you are so sweet and so strong, what a good mommy to have. And Brian you are such a great supportive husband and good Daddy as well. Love the updates and beautiful pictures. Talk to you soon!!! -Kim-

creagray said...

Oh Cassi, she is just darling, the video actually made me cry, I am just so happy for you. (I know this sounds a bit strange, but I find myself thinking of you often and have been cheering for for your beautiful daughter with every post. I think I may have crossed the "stalker line" some time ago, so please fogive me.) Your daughter is just so beautiful and strong, and what a fighter she is! I know how proud you must be of her. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you. I wish you and your family the best of luck on this difficult journey.
Rachael (Krueger) Gray

Amy AKA "Baba" said...

How absolutely wonderful! She knows her mommy and daddy and I know you bring her so much comfort.

It sounds like things are going well and yeah for poopy diapers. Isn't it amazing how everything can be out of place and still function properly.

I'm addicted to you Elli, keep the updates coming :)

Amy

Amber said...

I am so happy to hear that the three of you had that wonderful moment together. Sounds like Elli is a little rock star! Have I mentioned she is adorable!

Amber

Jen said...

Beautiful video! I cherished these moments SO MUCH when Sofie was on ECMO. It gave us so much hope to see her so alert. That's great that Elli responds so well to you guys! Thanks for sharing it with us. Keep the good updates coming, I'm always praying for you guys!

Jen Miller

cbgricci said...

How special is that moment! I can't stop crying! Those are the moments that melt your heart. We are so glad to hear she is doing well and so active. Elli is so lucky to have you as parents. You are all so strong and loving. Thank you for sharing this beautiful moment in your lives with all of us.

Love,
Colin, Brandi & Grace Ricci

Gillian Brown said...

Wow - you're video of Elli is great,i cryed as i watched it!I'm so glad to see your special little girl is doing well - she's georgous!!

Gil (Kadens mum)

Karie said...

What a beautiful video!! Cassi, she is just so precious and I can't imagine how hard it was for you to keep from picking her up. I am so proud of the strength and courage you have shown during this journey. If there is anything that we can do for you, please let us know. You are thought of all the time and missed everyday. Take care and God Bless you all.

PineapplePrincessMama said...

Yay-what a great video! I, too, remember being sucked in as we left for the night when little Miss would open her eyes for us. Stinkers, aren't they!? (But REALLY CUTE stinkers!)
She is precious. Glad to hear she's having more awake time and POOPING! Yay for poop!! :)

All the best,
Libby Cohen
Makena's mom

Liz and Shane said...

Thank you for sharing the video. Elli is so adorable! We continue to pray for all of you.
Liz

Anonymous said...

Brian & Cassi: We are thinking of you three and love reading the updates. Love the video and hearing your voices. She is beautiful! Ryan & Nikki

mummy to angel SKYLA said...

Hi Cassi,
Elli is just so beautiful. Loved the video. She looks like she is doing really well. That is fantastic. She certainly is a little fighter. We will keep praying for your little princess Elliott as she continues on her CDH journey.
Kristy, Mummy to Angel ^^SKYLA^^ http://skylacdhbaby.blogspot.com

Pam and Mark said...

She looks so cute....what a precious gift you two have. Elli could not have asked god to give her any more loving and caring parents than you. Cassie you a great mom and Brian you sound like a very proud papa.....You both have been thru so much in such a short time....god bless you both...Love Mark/Pam/Colbey/Glen

kmm0305 said...

What a precious video! I so wish we would've been on top of things and taken more videos (we still don't!) Its amazing how precious that moment is of first opening their eyes.

Keep up the great work, Elli! You have everyone praying for you and watching your every move! :)

Kristyn

Unknown said...

that video was soo cute i think that elli was adorable and she has the vorthmann nose and i think she has aunt stacis eyes i miss u and elli go to go bye

MomLoru said...

You don't know me but I stumbled across your blog while looking up current ECMO information as I do during milestones in my son's life. My son also had CDH and was on ECMO, this Sunday we will be bringing him to college! He turned 19 on 08/08/08 (that must mean something). Be strong, it's a long road but in the blink of an eye you will be bringing your baby to college too.