Elliott Arcile Reed

Elliott Arcile Reed
6 lbs 8 oz 19 3/4 inches

Friday, August 22, 2008

What a boring day

Here is Elli posing with SugarBear, he is keeping her from getting that thumb up to her mouth. She has been trying to get it there all day. They had to give her extra doses of Morphine and Versed today because she has been trying to be so active and moving her arms and legs around. Earlier today she was breathing over the vent setting of 20, which tends to allow air into her stomach and intestines so they don't really want that. So since about 3:00 when her roommate came, she has been pretty zonked out.
They have been having the lights on more this afternoon, and Elli really squints when they are on so this is the little cover we use to keep the bright lights out of her eyes (note it is pink and brown - the same color as her new room!)

Overall Elli had a really stable day. Not much changes, her blood pressure continues to be really good for her 50's/40's with a mean of around 50, without any additional boluses or med changes other than the slight increase in dopamine this morning. She continues to have really good urine output so the daily Lasix is really doing it's job. As for her right arm, it looks immensely better even this afternoon. They did a Doppler of her brachial and radial pulses to make sure that there were no clots and everything looked great. They think that the ECMO cannula's are causing a slight obstruction in her neck, but overall she has good pulses and good tissue profusion. I did have a little bit of a freak out moment this afternoon. Brian's sister and brother-in-law came to visit us from Iowa and Brian and his brother-in-law Charles were visiting with Elli as I was pumping. When I got done pumping I stopped in quick to see Elli and I sort of freaked out, well actually I did. I spazzed out and asked the nurse when the last time she was over to look at Elli. I noticed right away that both her arms and legs were all red and splotchy. Of course our nurse did notice it after Brian asked the nurse if her skin was reddened because they had just turned her from the side she had been laying on for most of the day. At first Brooklen our nurse thought that it was from lying on that side, but when it was on both arms, legs and her cheeks, she chalked it up to the antibiotic Gentamycin that she had just given her a few minutes before. The rash ended up fading pretty fast and is now completely gone.

Well Brian and I are going to head to the Ronald McDonald house for the night, planning on trying to get a good nights sleep. I am sure that when I get up to pump I will have to call to check on Elli just for a little piece of mind. It is so nice that the night nurses don't get annoyed with me calling, or at least they haven't said anything. We will let you know any new news tomorrow! Pray for more boring days!

13 comments:

Amber said...

Thanks for the update I am glad to hear Elli is having another stable day.Way to go Elli!

Amber

Kelli said...

Hello~ sounds like habits are hard to break!  If I remember right she was a thumb sucker in utero according to your ultrasound.  She know's what she wants!  I am starting to see a little of both of you in Elli.  Her face is just so precious.  I am sending boring thoughts your way tonight!!!

Paula said...

First of all congrats on the birth of your beautiful baby girl. My CDH baby boy was born in Nov 2007 and is the light of our lives. We are convinced that he is extra sweet to make up for the stress of his early days. Your wee one looks like a real fighter and I can see why they need Sugarbear to keep her in line.

Your late night post pumping calls brought back memories for me. I'm sure the nurses don't mind. They want to take care of you too!

I'm sending prayers your way for more boring days.

Amy AKA "Baba" said...

Boring days are great. It sounds like she is getting the rest she needs on ECMO.

Thanks for the update tonight. I will sleep well tonight knowing all is well.

Liz Rich said...

Elli is doing a great job!!! Our son liked to pull on his stuff too--it is the fighter inside! Don't worry about "annoying" the nurses--that is what they are there for--it took a few days for that to get through our heads--but that precious baby is YOURS--so don't ever hesitate to ask/call! Also, we always had our night nurses call us right before they had shift change- (around 6am)--it was great because I had to get up and pump anyway, and it was a good incentive to get up and be alert for the phone call.
I want to encourage you in your pumping--it is tough--but stick with it--it is totally worth it!!! If you need any pumping advice or support, feel free to email me.
We are keeping you in our prayers!
Liz
Mom to Par (LCDH, 11/1/07)

"Auntie Staci" said...

My niece is the most BEAUTIFUL, PRECIOUS LIL SWEETIE, ive ever seen! Kitten, i miss you so much and think about you, brian and elli, every minute of everyday! Her face is flawless, absolutly the sweetest sight ive ever seen! Baby Elli, i know we haven't met yet but i can't wait to see you, so until i get there you keep yr chin up and keep fightin, i love you honey, and can't wait till the day we meet! Love you all much! C-ya soon! Love,
Auntie Staci

SandiWake said...

Wow... awesome pictures. She is beautiful! Thanks for sharing your incredible journey.

Liz and Shane said...

She is so beautiful. I love how she holds her hand up near her face. Too cute! We are praying for you and Elli.
Liz Nelson

Jen said...

Boring days are good days! She sounds like such a strong willed girl. Rest up Elli, so you can come off ECMO in a few days fighting hard!

Jen Miller

kmm0305 said...

Elli looks great!! A girl after my own heart--pink and brown are my favorite colors, too.

Don't hesitate to call the nurses when you are up! :)

Keep up the great work, little girl!

Kristyn

Marilyn said...

You are in our thoughts and prayers. She is such a beautiful baby!

KimShep said...

Elli is so precious. Glad to hear you had such a "boring" day. That is amazing. She is such a trooper. Cassi I bet you never thought about so much excitement with Lasix (haha). I am glad it is working great for Elli. I miss you and can't wait to make a trip down to see you later on and that beautiful little elli. Talk to you soon!!! -kim-

gma2be said...

Soooo glad to hear "boring"! Looking forward to coming down to see Miss Elli soon. Gpa & I think of you 3 all the time. Great Gma & Gpa send their love and support. they don't have the internet, so they told me to send a message from them. Printed your blog for them, including pics, so greatful for the info. they fell in love at first sight. Just like all of us did! Hugs and Kisses Elli!!!