Elliott Arcile Reed

Elliott Arcile Reed
6 lbs 8 oz 19 3/4 inches

Saturday, September 6, 2008

No Changes

Just thought I would put a picture of our dogs on Elli's blog considering they are soon to be "big brother and sister" to Elli. Molly is our black lab and Trigger is our yellow lab.
Oh yah we, or at least I miss Gabby our cat too!


Elli had her eyes open for a little while yesterday afternoon. Brian enjoying some Father-Daughter bonding time. It is so reassuring to see her eyes open, but so hard at the same time.




Her little black belly button is just about ready to fall off.



Elli spent almost 20 minutes yesterday just looking around and up at us, without being fussy. She is just so adorable, we did sneak a few kisses when nobody was looking.



Elli continued to have a fairly stable day. Her satruations have not dropped below 80% all day, even with cares and diaper changes. Her blood gases have stayed almost identical, so on that note, as long as the 1 o'clock gas looks the same, that will be almost 24 hours of acceptable gases...Way to go Elli! Talking to the doctor this evening, we know that Elli is still very sick, and this is still a very serious situation. It might be a "honeymoon" period for the new drugs, or it might be the rest that she needs to move onto the next step. Dr. A said that with the gases that Elli has been having, normally she would try and wean the vent settings, but with all that she went through last night, she is going to let Elli rest up and my guess is when Dr. K gets back tomorrow he will be making some changes, but hopefully they are small and slow. Today's chest x-ray looked a little better than last night. It still appears that Elli may have some atelectisis (collapsed lung tissue) in her right upper lobe, but the doctors still can't determine if it is that or a shadow from the hematoma from the ECMO cannulas. Her left chest cavity appears to have some air in it. It could be air around the left lung bud, or possibly the left lung bud was over inflated and essentially "popped". Either way, it appeared last night that all the extra air on the left side was squishing the heart and right lung. But now today it appears that the chest tube is keeping he air to a minimum and the heart is a more effective pump as evidenced by her better blood pressures and decreased pulse rate.

Since things are looking about as stable as they can be without actually being stable, I think that we are going to call it a night much earlier than the last several. It wont be too early considering that it is already after midnight now. Brian did get to watch part of the Bearcat game this evening, but it started at 6 and with shift change he missed part of it because the Internet at RMH is not near as fast as at CMH. Wanted to put Elli's NWMSU booties on, but she doesn't really have any hands or feet without anything on them (arterial line, midline IV accesses, and the saturation monitor) so maybe the next game she will get to show her Bearcat pride. Brian is sitting by Elli right now and she must like it because her saturations are 88%, that is about the highest they have been all day. Heck they just hit 89%, she must know that her daddy is sitting next to her sending his love. Guess that's about all I know for tonight. Just trying to take it one day at a time and enjoy the time with Elli each day, especially when she wakes up just enough for us to get a glimpse of her beautiful blue eyes, it seems to make the long day so worth it. Keeping the faith in KC. On a side note, Brian and I are so home sick, just letting everyone know that we are thinking about our family and friends and know that we miss you all very much and cant wait until Elli is stable for everyone to come down and meet her. I cant believe I am saying it but I think that I miss Burlington Junction. Looking forward to a restful night for all three of us. As always thanks for the continued support. Brian, Cassi and Elli

14 comments:

Grandma Reed said...

We are glad things were quieter and steadier yesterday. We are going over to play with Trigger & Molly today. Dave has been playing with them but lost their ball so he got some new ones. Thanks for the pictures. I think Elli needed them kisses and so did Mom & Dad. I pray she continues to improve and you get to touch her & talk to her soon. We love you 3!

amberthompson said...

I'm so glad you got to sneak those kisses in...sometimes they are the best medicine...for Elli and mom and dad! I hope they let Elli continue to rest which in turn will let you two rest! Off to church we go...my sunday school class will be praying for you three.

God Bless,
Amber & Jesse Thompson

Chrissy said...

It's a relief to hear she had a better night.

You're in our prayers every minute,

Chrissy

KimShep said...

Keep up the good work Elli. Take care Brain and Cassi, still thinking of you always.!!

Kim

kmm0305 said...

Glad to hear Elli is as stable as stable can be right now. These kiddos "know" mom and dad--it is amazing to watch heart rates go down and sats go up when parents are around. The healing power of love. We know what it is like to be in the NICU during football season--gotta show your pride anyway you can! :) Hope she has a quiet rest of the weekend.

gma2be said...

Good morning beautiful Reed family:
(molly, trigger, & gabby)too! So glad yesterday and evening went without too many complications. Glad to hear Brian watched some of the game. (Small stress releiver) Did NWMSU win? We want you to know that we miss you sooo much too. Dad & I think of you all the time. Talk about when you get to come home with Elli. We are all praying for that day to get here asap! Going to Ggpa & Ggma's for dinner, printed out the blog up to date for them. They call several times a day for updates. Hoping for a great day. love you so much Hugs and kisses to Elli

nicole said...

I guess sometimes no changes is an okay thing!!
Love the new pic's of beautiful Elli!
Hope today brings good changes or no changes....continued thoughts & prayers sent your way!!

Nicole M

andrea said...

Glad to hear Elli had a stable night and praying for her and you both. It sounds like you've had a frustrating few days. You are great parents and such great advocates for little Elli. She's so lucky to have you!
Andrea

*super dude and super dog* said...

I bet they can't wait for Elli to come home so they cover her with kisses, too!

Glad to hear things are still steady.

mommy to Kaden, Brody and angel Ava said...

I am glad things are looking better today (or was it last night?). I know how horrible it feels to be away from home and in such a situation at that. Hang in there...remember Elli needs you more then people at home (I know you guys know that). Maybe if she starts having better days continously you guys can go home for a day...I don't know how far of a drive that is for you. I know when Kaden was in the hospital when he started doing better I would go home for a day here and there, but could not wait to get back up to see him once I was home. As he started getting a little older, I couldn't leave him anymore. If it would make you feel more comfortable you could always have Elli's grandparents come sit with her for awhile so you guys could get away. We did that as well. I could even do it for you, if you needed me to (I know you don't know me, but if I could help in that way, I so would), I am so use to that place. Just let me know. I know that she is still trying to get better, but once she does I think you guys should get out of the hospital for awhile. I know how draining it can be.

Hang in there!!! Thinking about and praying for you all.

Amy

Joni said...

Cassi & Brian, I have read the incredible journey you two have been on since April. I have never heard of Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia (CDH) but immediately did research on line. I have no words to express my feelings. You both are unbelievable with great faith in God to see the three of your through this. Elli is an amazing little girl and Jesus has her in his healing arms for sure. I also say a little prayer each morning before opening your web site and happily read your blog. I am keeping all three of you in my prayers and want you to know that I belong to an e-mail prayer chain that has prayer warriors all over the USA. Elli is being lifted up daily in Florida, Georgia, Maryland, Delaware, Tennessee, Oregon, Wisconsin, Louisiana, and California just from my chain. No telling how far reaching the rest of the chain is. You are such brave parents and Elli is so lucky to have you. Just wait until she gets to meet her Molly, Trigger and Gabby - oh what a happy family that will be. I pray for your continued strength and Elli's complete recovery.
Joni frm FL

SalenaZarb said...

Cassi, Brian and Elli-Thinking of you everyday!!! All of my love-Salena

Mary T said...

Just checking in to see how you all are doing. Hoping and praying this has been a quiet day for Miss Elli and that she is resting well. I pray her pain is easing, too. Miss Elli draws her strength from knowing her wonderful parents are near by, even though you can't give kisses or touch her for now. (Except for the ones you steal, and I would have to do that, too). We've been praying for you several times today for strength and for a healing day for Miss Elli. Sending you love, thoughts and prayers. Looking forward to an update on Miss Elli. Love, hugs and Angel kisses to Miss Elli.

BeLieVe iN MiRaCLeS!
Love to all,
MaryBeth

OVER 20,000 hits now! AMAZING!

Jen said...

I'm glad Elli had a better night last night. We were out of town all weekend, but I did steal Kenny's iphone every chance I got to check Elli's blog! Hang in there - you guys are such amazing parents and Elli is such an amazing little fighter.

Jen Miller