Elliott Arcile Reed

Elliott Arcile Reed
6 lbs 8 oz 19 3/4 inches

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Pain Management

Overall on a whole, Elli had a good night and day today considering she had surgery yesterday. Last night when Brian and I were getting ready to leave, I went to give Elli a good night kiss and she felt very warm to me. I took her temperature and it was 38.1 C (around 100.6 F) and I noticed that she was sweaty and had little tiny water blisters on her face. Of course this was around 2 and our nurse had just gone to lunch so another nurse was babysitting. I moved the radiant warmer off of her and she finally started to cool down. Needless to say we didn't leave until around 3:30 when Elli finally calmed down after another round of PRN pain medication. Last night at midnight Elli had her best blood gas ever, luckily they were cautious and didn't try to change any vent settings last night and let her rest and recover from the surgery.
This morning Elli was doing very well and the nurses were able to decrease the MAP on her vent settings (helps with oxygenation) and lowered the FIO2 (% of oxygen delivered via the endotrachial tube). I guess that once all the sedation meds from yesterday's surgery must have worn off because Elli started getting really fussy around noon, and her saturations were hanging in the low 80's. Even daddy holding her hand and humming a little tune didn't seem to help her calm down. She had been thrashing her arms and having a lot of facial grimacing, so Dr. K had the nurse turn up her Morphine drip to 100 and said that she could give her an extra Morphine bolus and that really seemed to help with the pain. She calmed down for about an hour until she had a wet diaper. For some reason she doesn't like to sit in wet pants...cant imagine why. Hopefully with a couple more Morphine boluses and increasing the rate, the doctors will be able to get on top of her pain which will help with her numbers overall. After they bolused her the first time her oxygen satruations were in the mid 90's, her blood pressure was lower (oh yah, Elli now is having high blood pressures 80's/60's, so they stopped her Dopamine drip) and pulse.
As far as her blood gases go, they have been pretty consistent, no real ups or downs. The next gas is at 4 but who knows what that will look like. It doesn't sound like Dr. K is to intent on weaning the vent settings until he can get Elli's pain manageable, so hopefully that will happen tonight. Brian and I just feel so helpless that we cant really do anything to calm or comfort our baby. Even just touching her makes her more agitated, so we have just been trying to let her rest.
As far as her closure surgery yesterday, everything looks good. Dr. K changed her dressing on her abdomen today and said that it looks nice and pink, no redness and it doesn't appear to be getting too swollen and tight, so that is good news. Also her chest/abdominal x-ray looks good. The hematoma appears to be almost gone, the right lung is well inflated and the left lung is still incredibly small but also inflated.
A lot of people have been asking us for our address at the Ronald McDonald house so I thought that I would just post it so whoever wanted it could copy it down.
Ronald Mc. Donald House
2501 Cherry St.
Kansas City, MO 64108
Attn: Brian and Cassi Reed Room 207
So it is a pretty quiet day down here in Elli's room, least wise we are trying to keep it that way. Still much of the same, staring at monitors, visiting with doctors, and holding our breath for the next steps, knowing Elli will take her time and progress at her own pace. If Elli is up for it I will try to get some more pictures to post, but as for now we are all trying to keep a low profile and keep Elli as comfy as possible. I guess we now need some Pain Management prayers. We continue to be in awe of the amazing outpouring of support. Thanks to all. Brian, Cassi and Elli

18 comments:

Snevets said...

You guys have already been great role models for Elli and many other people with your strength and resolution. Thanks for sharing your beautiful daughter!

Stay strong!

-B,S,C,&R

Auntie Annie's Mom said...

I'm sorry for your helpless feelings when Elli is uncomfortable and fussy. That's common for all new parents, but in your case, of course, it's quite intensified. As you requested, my prayers tonight will be for Elli's comfort and for that bad ole pain to go away!

Carol Mathes

Unknown said...

I am glad that things continue to look encouraging. I am praying that Elli will keep on improving.

Pastor Norris

Craig and Andrea said...

Only Elli knows what she needs, let her take it one day at a time - sounds like she is doing great, & that she is doing a wonderful job telling the doctors how things are gonna go! Her way or no way! Praying for a quiet and painless night tonight for your little one. I know how frustrating it can be not being able to hold and comfort her, but your time will be coming soon and it will be the best day of your life (next to the day she was born, of course!) Hope to get down there and see you guys soon. (Ryder will be down there for another sleep study in the next week or so, maybe we can stop by)
Prayers & patience,
Craig, Andrea, Cheyenne & Ryder

amberthompson said...

What a fighter Elli. I will pray for pain management tonight. Taylor fell asleep last night in the chair with her dad so I carried her upstairs and when she got up this morning, she was upset that we hadn't prayed last night and thought Elli wouldn't be better today because she hadn't prayed for her...so you all also have the prayers of a three year old girl. She prays for Elli every night and when she wakes up she asks me "Is Cassi's baby better today mom?" How innocent...

God Bless,
Amber & Jesse Thompson

gma2be said...

Grandma again. It's a parents worst feeling when their child is in pain and we can't make it go away. It doesn't matter if they are children or grown. So sorry you have to see your Angel Elli this way. Praying the discomfort Elli is feeling will go away quickly. Thanks for the update. Glad the patch is looking good. Grandpa sends his love. Wishing for a good night for you 3. hugs and kisses to Elli

shanacnest said...

i am glad that ellis doing good but i am sad that she is not felling to well but r little baby will b just fine

My Three Sons said...

I'm sorry that Elli is in pain. I know that the doctors and nurses will figure it out and she will stay comfortable. I'm glad to see that her surgery went so well. That is great news. Keep up the good work Elli. Mommy and Daddy are ready to take you home.

Kaci

My Three Sons said...

I'm sorry that Elli is in pain. I know that the doctors and nurses will figure it out and she will stay comfortable. I'm glad to see that her surgery went so well. That is great news. Keep up the good work Elli. Mommy and Daddy are ready to take you home.

Kaci

Anonymous said...

The strength in the three of you is truly amazing! Keep up the good work. Cassi, who thought those blood gas lectures would ever come in so handy! Your posts are great. You may want to consider teaching some day??!! I am praying for you daily. Hang in there.
Sue
p.s.
Does Brian have relatives in Denison, Iowa? I grew up near there!

- said...

B, Cassi and Elli,

Elli, I'm so sorry you're having such a rough time. Just know that you have a whole lot of people who love you immensely, are extremely proud of you, and are praying for you all the time. You are so loved.

-Jenny and Justin

"Auntie Staci" said...

Hey sweetie,
Im so proud of you for your strength! I look at the pics of you over and over and over again! I can't explain how precious you are! I pray about you many times thru the day! You are continusly on my mind! I love you so much and yr mommy and daddy are in awe of you! you keep fighting my sweet angel! I love you and send my hugs and kisses from iowa down to you! Nite baby!!
Love,
Auntie Staci

SalenaZarb said...

Cassi and Brian-your little girl is the strongest person I know! She has endured so many things and overcome them in just two weeks!! When I think I am having a bad day-I just think of Elli and know it really isn't that bad!!! Praying for a comfortable night!!! All of my love-Salena

KimShep said...

So glad to hear elli is doing well but so sorry to hear that she is having pain. She amazes me everyday. Will continue to keep you all in my prayers. Thanks so much for the address, i have been wanting it forever (or what seems like forever). Cassi your blogs are amazing and it feels like we are right there sometimes with the writing that you do. Hope you have a good night.

Kim

Paula said...

Pain management prayers are on the way for Elli.

It is so tough to see those soundless frowns and not be able to provide the comfort you so desperately want to give, but I think Elli knows you guys are there and feels your love...that is where she gets the energy to be the brave fighter she has proven herself to be.

Paula

Anonymous said...

She is beautiful, Cassi. I am thinking of and praying for all of you. I just heard about Elli through Amanda Henderson (Charlene's aunt, who by the way says she can't post comments but wants you to know she's thinking of you).. I can't imagine what you're all going through, but you sound strong and determined. Hang in there.

Kaleigh Rogers

linhart5 said...

Brian & Cassi,
Thanks so much for posting your address. The boys would like to send a card to Elli.
We'll be praying that God will ease Elli's pain and give comfort to all of you where it's needed most.
Hope you can get some rest tonight and that tomorrow is a brighter day for all of you.
Sweet dreams Elli, Brian, & Cassi!

mommy to Kaden, Brody and angel Ava said...

I am so sorry that Elli is in so much pain. I hope and pray that the doctors are able to get control of it really soon (hopefully they already have). I so understand the helpless feeling...that is the WORST feeling as a parent to watch your baby go through so much and not be able to pick them up and cradle them, even worse when they are so critical that you can barely touch or talk to them. Hang in there (I know that is easier said then done)...you guys are incredible parents, God chose you two because he knows that you have the love, strength and support Elli needs. Elli is really blessed, as are the two of you.

Keeping you three in my thoughts and prayers.

Amy